Satay chicken skewers with coconut rice and a fresh cucumber summer salsa
I love the creamy, nutty, spicy goodness of satay and this cheat's version is quick and versatile. Use it as a marinade, sauce or a base for a creamy curry and enjoy the bright flavours of Asia!
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
- 4 tbs natural smooth 100% peanut butter (no sugar or salt)
- 2 tbs Siriacha hot sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 500gms chicken tenderloins
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- ¾ cup salt reduced chicken stock
- 1 Lebanese cucumber diced
- 1 tomato seeded & diced
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- 1 red chilli finely chopped
- 1 handful coriander stalks finely diced and leaves reserved
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- In a blender bowl add the peanut butter, hot sauce, garlic, turmeric, lime, fish sauce and water. Blend well until you get a smooth sauce, add more water if the mixture is too thick.
- Coat the chicken with half of the sauce and put the rest of the sauce to the side.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers and set aside.
- Add your rice, coconut milk and stock to a saucepan, bring to the boil and then reduce it to a simmer covered for 12 mins until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile add all your salsa ingredients to a bowl and fold gently to mix and mingle the flavors.
- On a hot chargrill or BBQ, grill your skewers for four – five minutes on each side until done. Rest for five minutes under tinfoil.
- To serve spoon some yummy coconut rice onto a plate, add a few skewers, top with remaining satay sauce and salsa. Enjoy!