Diabetes friendly Christmas: main meal
With a few tasty tricks you can keep your blood sugar levels and your taste buds happy this Christmas.
These rolled turkey breasts are low in saturated fat, and the salad is light and clean. Serve with some roasted sweet potato topped with natural yoghurt to avoid a blood-sugar spike, but keep satisfaction levels high.
Aiming for healthier mealtimes means you can play a little more at dessert – that’s certainly festive!
Rolled turkey breast with proscuitto
Difficulty - medium
- 800g turkey breast steaks (if you can’t find, buy turkey breast and cut into steaks)
- 2 pieces wholegrain bread
- ½ celery stalk, diced
- ½ Granny Smith apple, grated
- ¼ Spanish onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons pistachios
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cranberries
- 4 sprigs thyme, picked
- zest of one lemon
- 8 thin slices prosciutto*
- 8 sprig of thyme for garnish
NOTE: The prosciutto is certainly a festive addition. To make this meal lower in fat and salt, simply remove the prosciutto.
- 10 Brussels sprouts
- ½ red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
Green goddess dressing
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- ½ avocado
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup parsley, leaves only
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, beat out each steak until they are about 1.5cm thick.
- Process the bread into a fine crumb, and add the celery, apple, nuts, cranberry, onion, thyme and lemon zest. Mix well to combine.
- Spoon a large tablespoon full of stuffing into the centre of each steak and roll up tightly.
- Wrap with a slice of prosciutto. It should stay but if you need to secure it use a toothpick. Garnish with a sprig of thyme and pop into the oven for about 20 minutes until cooked through.
- For the salad, remove the outer leaf and stalk of the Brussels sprouts and shred. Toss into a bowl with remaining salad ingredients.
- For the dressing, toss all of the ingredients into a food processor and wiz until smooth. Season to taste and dress salad.