Tips to help you avoid that burning temptation to light up
Coffee, alcohol, stress… are all common triggers that might have you reaching for the cigarettes. Here we give you some tips to help you avoid that burning temptation.
Common triggers and strategies to help
- Watching You Tube or checking out your Facebook news feed
- Going for a walk around the block.
- Having a healthy snack such as an apple.
- Walking over to the kitchen and drinking a glass of water.
- Having a healthy dessert or some sugar free sweets.
- Cleaning up the dinner plates straight away.
- Doing a puzzle or answering some trivia questions.
- Checking your social media feed whilst having your coffee.
- Reading a newspaper or magazine whilst having your coffee.
- Having a chat over coffee with a friend who doesn’t smoke.
- Downloading a meditation app and try meditation for 5 minutes.
- Go for a 5 minute walk around the block.
- Have a debrief with a friend – they may even be able to help.
- Download an interesting podcast or audio book and listen to this instead.
- Use hands free and call a friend or family member you haven’t spoken to in a while.
- Sucking on some sugar free sweets
- Read a new book (but only if you’re on public transport!)
This can be one of the biggest triggers! Why not try giving up alcohol for the first couple of months and challenge your friends to do the same. There are lots of fun activities that don’t involve alcohol such as:
- Going to the movies or the theatre
- Going for a walk or playing a game of kick around in the park
- Spending the day at a spa.