Spicy prawn and mango Vietnamese rice paper rolls
This is a summer staple in my house and when the first of this season’s mangoes come out to play this is my goto recipe to kick start those fresh summer vibes!
Prep time: 20 mins
Makes: 12 rolls
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 red Thai chilli finely chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk finely chopped
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 50gms vermicelli noodles
- 12 cooked and peeled prawns of your choice
- 1 mango peeled, flesh removed and thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, flesh removed and thinly sliced
- 1/8 green cabbage very thinly sliced
- 2 carrots very thinly sliced
- 1 Lebanese cumber very thinly sliced
- 12 picked coriander leaves
- 12 round rice paper sheets
- To make the Dipping sauce, mix together the garlic, chilli, lemongrass, lime zest and juice, rice wine vinegar, honey, fish sauce and water in a bowl and set aside to mingle. If you like it super spicy add another chilli.
- Cover the vermicelli noodles in boiling water and leave to sit for about five – six minutes until they are hydrated, then drain.
- Have all your ingredients laid out nicely on a tray so it is easy to assemble your roll.
- Using a bowl of cold water dip the rice paper sheet for a minute in the water.
- Place it on a plate and fill it with your prepped ingredients.
- Then fold over your rice paper by taking the back over the top, then each side over that then the front back over the top again to make a nice tight package. Take your time to ensure they are nice and tight (watch the video for a demo).
- Repeat for all rolls, cut in half, arrange on a platter, serve with your dipping sauce and enjoy.