Smokey Chipotle beef and pineapple skewers with herbed rice and greens
The combination of smoky and spicy charred beef with the sweet, caramelized pineapple really sets off this dish and it is perfect for a BBQ.
Prep time: 60 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
- 2 tbs chipotle in adobo
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- 1 tbs soy sauce salt reduced
- 500gms beef rump, fat trimmed and cut into 5cm chunks
- 500gms pineapple cut into 5 cm chunks
- 1 red onion cut into 5 cm chunks
- 1 cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock no added salt
- 1 handful coriander, leaves reserved and stalks finely diced
- 1 handful parsley leaves finely chopped
- 100gms mixed leaves
- lemon wedges
- Soak your wooden skewers in water overnight, so they don’t burn on the BBQ.
- Blend the chipotle, garlic, paprika and soy sauce in a large mixing bowl.
- Once blended, add the beef pieces and toss to evenly coat. Marinate for at least an hour or ideally overnight.
- Thread the beef, pineapple and onion pieces evenly on skewers until there are 3 of each item on the skewer, cover the wooden ends with tinfoil to avoid any burning.
- Heat a chargrill or BBQ on high and cook the skewers evenly on all sides for two minutes or until the beef is cooked to your liking.
- Once cooked let the beef rest covered in tinfoil while you prepare the rice.
- Bring rice and stock to the boil and simmer covered for 12 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked fold through the herbs (apart from the coriander leaves) and spoon evenly onto plates.
- Top the rice with the skewers, fresh leaves, a squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of coriander leaves.