Forgot your lunch? Try some healthier alternatives
Forgot to take your lunch to work with you today? Check out our tips on choosing healthier alternatives when eating out.
- Order a sandwich made from scratch rather than going with a ready-made option. That way you know exactly what’s in it.
- Visit a café where you can create your own salad or choose toppings for a baked potato.
- If things aren't made to order, don’t feel shy about asking for modifications. Ditch butter, cheese, sour cream and chips. Instead ask for an extra serve of vegetables or salad.
If things aren't made to order, don't feel shy about asking for modifications.
Eat to stay full until dinner
- Balance quality carbs with lean proteins – studies have shown that protein helps us stay fuller for longer. Try adding boiled eggs, tuna, turkey or grilled chicken to your salad, sandwich or wrap.
- Fibre also helps lower the GI of a meal, which helps us stay satisfied – another great reason to add extra salad or veggies to your lunch and to choose the wholegrain option. Try a hearty bean and lentil soup.
Visit a supermarket
The supermarket is a great option as you can buy plenty of ingredients to create your own healthy and filling salads, sandwiches and wraps.
Healthy restaurant and café choices
- Italian: Minestrone soup, pasta with a tomato-based sauce, bruschetta, grilled lean meat or fish grilled or steamed; with vegetables or salad.
- Mexican: A naked burrito with black or pinto beans, brown rice, fresh tomato salsa and fresh salads. Watch your portions of cheese and commercially made guacamole and sour cream.
- Japanese: Edamame, miso soup and avocado/salmon/raw tuna/vegetable sushi.
- Indian: Chicken or fish tikka, tandoori chicken, and prawn or chana masala with basmati rice.