We catch up with ten families to find out how they spend quality time together and why it’s important to them.
In today’s fast paced world it can be easy to let family time slip down your list of priorities. However, spending time together as a family is really important as it helps build strong family ties and helps create an environment where children can thrive.
Spending time together as a family doesn’t have to be arduous or expensive - it can be as simple as eating dinner together and talking about your day, or going for a walk together on the weekend.
What is important about family time, is that you find something you all enjoy and you’re present in the moment with each other.
We caught up with ten families to find out how they spend quality time together as a family and why it’s so important to them.
1. As a family we like to go on big adventure walks and have picnics in the park. Our boys love to swim and often drag their aging parents on the crazy water slides at the water parks. Adventure and being active is our family's number one priority.
2. Every afternoon before sports training our family walks or rides around the block. It's a great time to chat about our day and what has happened. It's great family time to laugh giggle and make memories while keeping active.
3. We love to spend time playing outdoors together. We camp, we swim, we ride, we run, we climb, we jump in muddy puddles, we play games and we garden. It keeps us strong and healthy in body and mind. Doing it all together makes it easy and fun. Happy memories.
4. We love to make up back yard obstacle courses, climbing, spinning, swinging and jumping. Anything to get the heart racing while we have fun too. Our favourite course is when we make up a silly task to do at the end of the course. Keeping us fit and happy.
5. We dedicate one day or weekend a month to have some family adventures outdoors. We like to do fun adventurous things like camping, archery, canoeing, abseiling, cannoning, and hiking. We get to experience these things together and have so much fun.
6. To stay healthy as a family on a Sunday morning my husband and I love to take the girls to the local bike track and run along the foreshore as they ride their bikes. There's nothing like fresh air and exercise to get the day started.
7. Family dinner time is always lively, especially when it’s build your own wrap night. The kids help me prepare an array of vegetables and meats that are then placed at the dinner table. Everyone piles up their choice of healthy fillings on a wrap. It’s such a delicious way to have fun!
8. From Friday evening to Saturday night we turn off the TV, mobile phones and tablets. We switch off the world and make our family the focus. It centres us, unites us and brings simple fun to our family. It reminds us of what is important. Not what's urgent.
9. We use fitness time as together time. It can be cycling, interval training, tennis, weight training or just a long walk. This time is not only for being a positive example to our children 10 and 14, but good for conversations about health and life.
10. As a family we love getting out and exploring new recreation tracks, we've found heaps in our area that we never even knew were there! We take our puppy and enjoy the fresh air, moss and gum trees. We've just discovered geocaching too, which makes for even more excitement!