Healthier kids' parties: carrot cupcakes with cream cheese icing
Check out this delicious healthier cupcake recipe - carrot and ginger cupcakes with cream cheese icing. It's not sugar free but it's a healthier cake option with hidden added goodness, perfect for kids' parties!
Although there is a swag of rainbow coloured, lolly topped options (and if you’re going to do it now is the time!) if you wish to keep it on the healthier side of the fence, try this divine carrot cupcake recipe.
It's lower in sugar than many cakes, and it has carrots so it’s practically a salad! OK, not quite, but they’re still very delicious and not too naughty.
Make sure you begin these ahead of time so they can cool before you ice them.
Serves: 12 cupcakes or one large cake
You will need:
For the cupcakes
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup rice bran oil
pinch of salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups white spelt flour
2 cups finely grated carrot (around 3 large carrots)
1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
1/3 cup crystallised ginger, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
For the icing
3/4 cup icing sugar
150g light cream cheese, cold
50g unsalted butter, room temp
What you need to do:
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Beat your sugar and oil until thick then add one egg at a time, beating in between. Continue beating for a few more minutes until it's thick and luscious.
- Add salt, baking powder, carrots, flour, walnuts and spices and stir with a wooden spoon until all nicely combined.
- Put cake batter into cupcake patties in a cupcake tin and pop into the oven for 15-20 minutes. If you're making a cake, line your cake tin and that will probably need to cook for more like 40 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Baking time might vary depending on your oven.
- For frosting beat the icing sugar and butter together with an electric mixer until well mixed. Add the cream cheese in one go and beat until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium high. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy.
- Ice cupcakes when they are completely cool and get ready for your party!