This Halloween why not swap the sugar loaded lollies for some homemade treats, like these Bolognaise Jack O Lanterns.
Difficulty – medium
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500g beef mince
- 1 tin crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 500ml beef stock
- 250g (half a packet) of spaghetti
- 4 orange or yellow capsicums
1. Cook off your onion in a little olive oil in a heavy based fry pan on a medium heat. When translucent add garlic and stir until fragrant. Add beef ensuring you break it up well.
2. When completely brown, add herbs, tinned tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir well.Toss in the stock, vinegar and grated vegetables, season well and pop a lid on for one hour. Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes or until bolognese is quite dry.
3. Using a sharp paring knife cut the lid of the capsicum off. Remove all seeds and membranes from inside. Carefully carve in your face ensuring it’s not too close to the bottom or it will collapse.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook spaghetti as per packet instructions.
5. Take half of your bolognaise mix, and stir it through cooked spaghetti. Fill your capsicums with the filling ensuring they overflow a little to give spooky brains effect.
6. Pop into oven for about 25-30 minutes until capsicum is just cooked but not collapsing.